Are you planning to join the expanding e-learning industry? We list down 20 of the best online course platforms in 2021 to help you choose…
Share this article
Subscribe for updates
Developments in technology have changed the way we acquire knowledge and expanded varied opportunities for the application of what we learn and know. Where learning in the past was limited to classroom instructions and lectures, digital learning has opened the possibility of flexible learning. As more and more people find their place in the e-learning market, the industry continues to grow and is projected to surpass US$243 billion in 2022 (1).
The evolving technology empowers the e-learning industry on various fronts. The diminishing half-life of knowledge and innovations highlight the need for continuous learning even for working individuals who could barely squeeze time for learning, thus increasing the need for accessible options to upskill.
Technology has also upgraded the market’s capability to respond to this increasing need for online and flexible opportunities through e-learning. With the availability of various online course platforms to choose from, it has never been easier to sell courses or enroll in one. For course creators, such platforms enable them to reach a wider audience from all around the world in flexible and meaningful ways.
However, choosing the best platform is never really easy, what with the overwhelming number of platforms available. On that note, we listed 20 of the best online course platforms to help you choose the one most suitable for you, whether you’re a student or an instructor.
How do we choose the Best Online Courses?
Choosing the best online course platform to invest in will be tricky because you might have different needs, technology capabilities, budgets, and preferred features. For this list, we selected the top 20 based on the following criteria:
- Customer service and support
Your course content is just as good as the platform’s capability to deliver them to your target learners. Regardless of the quality of your course content, the students’ learning and satisfaction would always be evaluated by how the content is delivered. Hence, the features of the platform are of prime importance when we choose the best online platforms.
Some of the vital elements in learning which we are specifically looking for as follows:
- Enables creation of course content in various formats to accommodate various learning styles (text, videos, or audio)
- Provides monitoring of students’ progress for both the learners and instructors
- Enables creation of quizzes or projects
- Enables sending of certificates to students
- Flexibility in course delivery models
- Availability of mobile apps for flexible learning
- Enables student-student and student-instructor interactions
Since e-learning businesses are not all about the creation of courses, but selling them as well, we will also look into the tools that make your site and pages more attractive to potential customers, the ease in using them, and the availability of marketing tools or support.
Customer Service and Support
If you will choose a partner for your e-learning venture, you need to pick one that offers prompt support and assistance. There are sure to be challenges along the way, so you need someone or a team who will be there to help you when the need arises.
Look beyond a partner who only provides training and answers your queries and concerns. You might need a platform partner that would be able to give you on-going support. Being part of a community would is also a great deal of help as it will connect you with people who could help and support you in your journey.
We will also look at the platform’s plan costs. We compare the features available for the available plans and see which could is worth investing in. We don’t look for the cheapest plans available but we will see which ones could be worth the price tag, considering their offered features and services.
Running your online course requires a number of solutions, which probably means that you will have to work with different software along with your chosen online platform. How well does the platform integrates with other services is another thing that we need to be concerned about. We do not want to be frustrated with services that do not mesh quite well, right?
Our top pick?
Among the 20 best online course platforms, Thinkifit is our top pick because it provides interesting features for course creation such as support for content in various forms to accommodate varied learning styles. It also allows live classes, as well as quizzes. It also enables you to sell your course and offers phone support. Most importantly, courses are offered at budget-friendly prices.
Compare Best Online Course Platforms
✔ Phone support
✔ No transaction fees
✔ Easy customization
✔ Course forums
✔ Focus Mode
✔ Easy to Customize
✔ Unlimited students
✔ Unlimited memberships
✔ Quiz timer
✔ Has 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
✔ Interconnected systems save budget
✔ Could minimize technical problems,
✔ Integrated platform
✔ Includes sales funnel
✔ 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Free migration tools
✔ Facebook community
✔ Prebuilt Layouts
✔ Integrated Dashboard
✔ Custom domain
✔ Mobile app
✔ 24/7 support
✔ Easy to manage and fully integrated
✔ Native payment processing
✔ Drip course content
✔ Course compliance controls
✔ Multilingual UI
✔ Ready-made templates
✔ Mobile and tablet ready
✔ Unlimited courses
✔ Affiliate program
✔ Custom domains
✔ AI-based reporting
✔ Easy customization
✔ Additional teammates ($20/mo each)
✔ Unlimited everything
✔ All week support
✔ Mobile app
✔ Supports 30 languages
✔ Has a free plan
✔ Mobile app
✔ Varied plans
✔ Custom plans are available
✔ Generous free trial
✔ Unlimited students
✔ Unlimited courses
✔ Mobile app
✔ eLearning analytics
✔ 65+ different languages
✔ Cover wide scope of topics
✔ Access to 35 Million learners in Udemy
✔ Easy to prepare courses
✔ Monthly royalties
✔ Mobile app
20 Best Online Course Platforms in 2021
If you want a hosted e-learning platform that allows you to create and sell online courses under your own brand, you can do so with Thinkific. Right now, it is home to over 50,000-course creators for the simple reason that almost all of the features that we are looking for in an online course platform are already here.
It gives you the freedom to decide on the publication, pricing, and promotion of your online courses. It also enables you to customize your courses and how they run to ensure that they would match your own brand.
- Allows marketing and selling of courses with various business tools like flexible pricing options, offers of membership sites, subscription courses, coupons, or promotions.
- Supports varied multimedia course content such as video, text, downloads, quizzes, discussions, surveys, and google docs among others. It could also support live classes through zoom, depending on the plan.
- Provides language controls
- Allows monitoring of student progress
- Access to robust data to monitor and boost your e-learning business.
- Has secure cloud hosting and daily backups
Plans include the following core features:
- Instant fund access
- Student notifications
- Full e-commerce
- Upsell offers
- Simple and quick course builder through drag and drop
- Discussion fora
- Building your website
- Secure cloud hosting
- Multiple Instructor Profiles
- Built-in SSL certificates
- Phone and email support
Thinkific has a Free Plan (2) and it does not expire. It includes features such as unlimited students, the ability to create limited courses only, quizzes, surveys, and content hosting among others. It does not require credit cards.
For differences in available features in course creation, sales and marketing, design customization, student experience, teaching, site administration, security support, and pricing across available plans, see Thinkific feature comparison (3).
What people say about Thinkific
LearnDash is one of the popular and trusted LMS (learning management system) WordPress plugins that you might want to look into if you want to run your eLearning venture from your WordPress. This will give you some real control over your business. It is trusted by big names in the education sector such as the University of Michigan, Keap, and Yoast.
What I like best about this online education platform is that it provides you with the tools to design an e-learning course that sells. This is on top of ensuring marketing and management will not be a problem.
These include advanced quizzes, focus mode, course points, and discussion forums among others.
- Simple drag-and-drop course builder
- LearnDash Focus Mode supports learning by providing a distraction-free environment for the students.
- Advanced quizzing that allows question banks, and eight types of questions such as essay, multiple-choice, and fill in the blanks among others.
- Freedom in designing content delivery (e.g. drip feed, linear or open progression)
- Automated email notifications for learners
- Awards badges and certificates
- Discussion forum
- Marketing and sales that allows you to set price, and choose payment model, schedules, and up-sell offers.
LearnDash has three plans, with the number of site licenses being the only difference. Available plans in LearnDash are indicated below.
Licences in LearnDash are renewed automatically every calendar year. You may, however, choose to cancel at any time. An active license key is needed to receive feature updates, security patches, and support, It will still work if you don’t renew the license. However, there will be no guarantee of its compatibility with the newest WordPress versions.
For more functionality on the course, LearnDash also offers some add-ons (4).
What people say about LearnDash
If you’re planning to build a course site based on WordPress to deliver online courses, LifterLMS is another online elearning platform that you could try. It is an all-in-one LMS system that has customers in 131 countries. This platform has available offers for individuals, educators, and entrepreneurs who are looking to start or scale their ventures in the e-learning industry.
LifterLMS offers solutions for your needs for a WordPress LMS plugin for online courses and membership sites, online learning marketplaces, in-class and online blended learning, and internal company training. It has three plans that you could choose from. It also has available add-ons for better functionality.
- Drag-and-drop course builder
- Weekly Office Hours Mastermind
- Community with the Facebook group and Slack Community
- Unlimited courses
- Unlimited website admins
- Unlimited instructors and lessons
- Unlimited students
- Unlimited memberships
- Course tracks and degree programs
- Course content protection
- Drip and scheduled course contents
- Quiz timer
- Certificates and badges
- Personalized emails based on behaviors
- One-time and recurring models for pricing
LifrerLMS has three plans for starters and those looking to scale up their ventures. Pricing for available plans in LifterLMS is indicated in the image below.
Individual Add-ons Plan includes LMS plug-in, 1 active site, standard support, 1 technical support account, and all available add-ons for individual plans. For a detailed comparison of features, see LifterLMS’ plans (5).
What people say about LifterLMS
If you want a more comprehensive all-in-one e-learning platform rather than rely on multiple business solutions, Kartra might have an interesting offer for you. Rather than taking risks on diverse business solutions that you connect together to address your business concerns, Katra offers a more seamless operation. This minimizes potential points of failure.
With Kartra, tracking is global and parts are interconnected by default. Further, monitoring everything becomes simpler, because you are using a single system rather than multiple ones joined together.
Kartra offers more advanced functionalities for your online course business. Its website provides a generous introduction to the Kartra features so that you know exactly what you are signing for.
- Internal Checkouts to help you sell your courses online at multiple price points.
- Powerful and intuitive Page Builder with hundreds of page and section templates, allowing you to customize every element on the page through drag, drop, and click.
- Email automation systems that follow your students based on their actions (e,g. Did not open an email, click a link, purchased a product, etc.)
- Easy way to create advanced sales funnels with Interconnected pillars of a funnel
- Multi-Membership portals and multiple membership tiers.
- Central management of hosted videos
Unlike other platforms, Kartra gives you access to all features with whatever plan you purchase. There are only a few differences such as the size of your contact list, your traffic bandwidth, and the number of pages, videos you could create among others. For a full comparison, see Kartra Plans (6)
Below is the pricing for available plans in Kartra.
- Starter Plan: $99/month
- Silver Plan: $199/month
- Gold: $299/month
- Planimum: $499/month
There are available add-ons for additional domains, emails and bandwidth, and integration and API.
At a glimpse, Kartra looks overly expensive compared to other platforms on our list. However, if we consider the solutions that you had to purchase separately if you choose other platforms such (e,g email, funnel building, landing pages, shopping carts, and others), Kartra is actually quite cost-effective.
What people say about Kartra
Systeme.io is an all-in-one online learning platform that offers generous deals for a very low price. Almost everything you need to sell your courses is provided. So far, Systeme.io had generated sales of $11,830,089, which is not a surprise since the products they offer come with strong marketing support.
This is another platform that brings together almost everything that you will need to run your e-learning business. No need to tap other software for your business solutions. This minimizes potential errors and makes your system much easier to monitor and manage.
- Easy-to-build and unlimited sales funnel
- Email marketing with unlimited email sending
- Building and launching of online courses
- Opportunity to run your affiliate program
- Business automation
The only difference among the access to the basic features are the number of contacts, and membership site members, Further, the Webinar plan includes additional features including 2 custom domains, 3 evergreen webinars, coupon codes, and A/B tests. Meanwhile, the Enterprise plan includes 5 custom domains, unlimited evergreen webinars, coupon codes, A/B tests, and 1-on-1 kickstart coaching.
What people say about System.io
AccessAlly is an all-in-one WordPress plug-in that could help you manage your course building and selling. It supports building courses, memberships, and digital products for your business.
With AccessAlly, you have more control and flexibility by maximizing the open-source framework. It also integrates with many CRMs. Furthermore, regardless of the number of courses and memberships you may have, you only pay a fixed fee. It also has varied built-in integrations for seamless operation across platforms.
- Drag-and-drop course builder
- Progress tracking
- Automated Individual follow-up
- Bookmarking audios and videos
- Automatic generation of certificates
- Three types of quizzes (personality, graded, and scoring quizzes)
- Built-in recurring subscription plugin to allow your WordPress to process ongoing payments
- Affiliate marketing
- Follow-up for abandoned carts
- Cross-selling dashboard
- Multiple-currencies functionality
AccessAlly has three plans for different individuals with different purposes.
- AccessAlly Essentials could be accessed for free for two months. This includes 1 site license, and unlimited courses and members, among other features.
- AccessAlly Pro could be accessed for free for two months. This plan includes everything included in the AccessAlly Essentials plus built-in LMS, 3 quiz types, and customizable certificates for students, among other features.
- AccessAlly In-House Training includes everything in AccessAlly Pro plus other features including 5 internal licenses for instructional training.
For a full comparison of features, see AccessAlly plans. (8)
What people say about AccessAlly
7. Academy of Mine
If you are tired of making various services work together to respond to your business needs, you might need an all-in-one solution that focuses on customization. Academy of Mine (AOM) offers this to help you start your very own white-label platform so you could build courses, and then sell and manage them. Some of the brands that trust AOM are Harper Collins and the University of Southern California, among others.
It is a complete and high-end online learning platform that could be ideal for corporations for professional development, continuing education, certifications, as well as B2B training. Further, if you need more than just a platform, AOM also provides additional services to respond to your business’ individual needs whether it be website development, data migration, or custom work.
- Custom domain to make the platform truly yours
- Drag-and-drop course builder
- Online Courses could include multimedia contents including texts, videos, SCORM, PDF, among others
- Flexible and powerful visual builder to create unlimited pages without using any codings
- Integrated website
- Extensive and automated eCommerce functionality to allow you to sell your courses
- Detailed student reports including Gradebook
- Course Drip and locking
- Quiz and examinations
- Certificate of completion in PDF format
- Software integrations
- Marketing and analytics tools
- Built-in capacity for messaging
AOM has a flat price. It starts at US $9997/ year. Basic features include unlimited users and courses, quizzes and assignments, advanced reporting, webinar integration, integrated eCommerce, and webpage builder among others. For a full list and details of AOM features, see Academy of Mine (9)
Feature Line: Since AOM emphasizes customization, the actual pricing would eventually depend on your business requirements and needs that will be provided to you.
What people say about AOM
Kajabi is another all-in-one online learning platform that you might want to consider if you are looking for a serious business partner for your e-learning biz. It is used by over 30,000 individuals worldwide. While Kajabi could support a beginners’ e-learning business building, it has features that benefit advanced users looking for a platform suitable to their already established ventures.
The seamless integration allows you to create and market your products such as online courses, and membership among others in ways that are energy- and time-efficient. It has a strong site builder that enables you to create smooth pages to sell your products. This is definitely going to save you from a lot of headaches from trying to fix broken integrations.
Kajabi’s plans may be a little steep for small businesses trying to get started on this venture. Its interesting features, however, such as automation, site-building capability, and availability of a mobile app more than made up for the price tag.
- Unlimited landing pages
- Powerful website and page builder
- Customer management software that allows you to automate key customer interactions
- Smart analytics for better business decisions
- Ready-made pipelines
- Mobile app
Kajabi has three plans which include almost the same features. The main differences are the number of individuals you could actually involve or and things you could create in your business. Pricing for available plans in Kajabi is indicated below.
The affiliate program and the ability to remove the Kajabi branding are only available for Growth and Pro plans. Meanwhile, the code editor is only featured in Pro plans. For a detailed comparison of plan features, see Kajabi (10).
What people say about Kajabi
Teachable is another hosted e-learning online platform that you could go to if you want to focus your energy on your content and leave the teaching stuff to your partner platform. Teachable is a go-to place for beginners, and it also has more affordable basic plans. It has over 100,000 creators who have sold around $1 billion of courses and coaching.
Setting up your e-learning venture becomes less intimidating with the easy-to-use features that allow flexible customization. You could easily set up course features such as the payment system and sales pages, among others on your dashboard.
In terms of learning and student engagement features, it allows multimedia content such as videos and texts. You can also provide one-on-one sessions to make your course offer more enticing to students looking for more assistance.
- It allows unlimited courses, coaching, students, video bandwidth, and hosting.
- Has a power editor to help you develop multimedia lectures, coaching, and videos.
- Native payment processing. It accepts payment internationally in over 130 currencies.
- Members-only community
Basic features available on all plans are:
- Unlimited courses, coaching, students, video bandwidth, and hosting
- Email support
- Integrated processing of payments
- Student management
- Lecture comments
- Basic quizzes
- Custom domain
- Coupon codes
- Integrated email marketing
- Third-party integrations
- Drip course content
- Members-only community
- Course creator training
What people say about Teachable
If you are looking for a hosted e-learning platform that would help you provide more interactive lesson content to your students, you might want to try LearnWorlds. Among the key features of this platform are the interactive video players and readers, which would make learning fun and engaging for your students. It extracts transcripts, quizzes, and tables of content from your videos.
You have the flexibility to design your courses with templates. You could also decide whether to let your students navigate freely, in sequence, or with certain restrictions, It also allows you to drip feed your online course to schedule delivery of your course content.
- Interactive features such as the video players and readers.
- Simple drag-and-drop editors make your job easy
- Provision of multilingual customer support
- Provision of opportunities for students to connect with built-in social media networks,
- Copyright protection
- Advanced quiz capabilities Page builder for the course and sales page
Basic features that are available on all plans are:
- Unlimited courses
- Mobile and tablet ready
- video library
- Multilingual UI
- Ready-made templates
- Brading and Theme editor
- Font customization
- Lead generation
- Coupons and upsells
- Built-in social network
- Automated newspaper
- Learner profiles
- Interactive ebook
- Quizzes, assignments, exams
- Learner analytics
- Conversion tracking
For a detailed comparison of features, see LearnWorlds’ plans (12).
What people say about LearnWorlds
If you’re trying to get started but are intimidated by the technical aspect of launching your online courses, check out Teachery. This is another hosted online learning platform that is very friendly for beginners and distinguishes itself with its emphasis on simplicity and customization.
It sacrifices advanced functionality to let your content shine with its simple and uncomplicated technology. Another wow feature of Teachery is its zero additional transaction fees. You don’t get this deal from other online learning platforms.
- Uncomplicated tech
- Unlimited everything- courses, landing pages, etc.
- Simple live course editor to allow you to have a customized course, payment, and sales pages.
- Allow embedding of content such as videos, audio, and slide presentation
- Tracking code and analytics
Unlike other online learning platforms, Teachery offers simple options for subscription plans. All features are accessible with either the monthly or yearly plan.
- Unlimited courses
- Unlimited students
- Unlimited landing/ or sales pages
- Affiliate program
- Custom domains
- Email provider integrations
- Customer analytics
- Simple course editor
- Promo codes and discounts
- Recurring payment pages
- Scheduling for course dripping
- Export customer data
- Custom HTML support
- Zero additional transaction fees
You could try all of these features for two weeks with Teachery’s 14-day free trial (13).
What people say about Teachery
12. ProProfs Training Maker
If you are looking for a sophisticated online learning platform to create courses for your already thriving e-learning business, you might consider a full-fledged learning management system (LMS) such as ProProfs Training Maker. It has over 100 settings and configurations to help you. It also provides interesting features for the virtual classroom such as reports and analytics, discussions, and collaborations, among others.
- AI-based reporting
- Free Course Library with over 100 online courses that were professionally created which you could edit
- Easy customization
- Supports over 70 languages
- Virtual classroom software
- Complete learning with a knowledge base, quizzes, discussions, forms and surveys, assessments, and help center
- Discussion and collaboration
- Learning Management
- eCommerce Platform
For a detailed comparison of features, see ProProfs plans (14).
What people say about ProProfs Training Maker
Podia is a great place to sell a variety of products including online courses, webinars, memberships, and downloads. It is also easy to set up and you’ll be provided with support for migration if you have existing content, and if you’re new to selling.
Podia allows you to host unlimited videos and other files in your online courses. It also offers payment plans, quizzes, and drip course content, among others With Podia, you can host and enroll in online courses, sign up for memberships, download digitally, use email marketing, and manage affiliates in one platform.
- Selling of online courses, webinars, downloads, and memberships in one place
- Email marketing
- Build websites with customized URL
- Addition of varied pages (e,.g. Homepage, sales, contact, about, product page, etc).
- Real-time chat with visitors
- Drip content
- Membership community
There are only two available plans in Podia. If you are just starting to launch your business, you might consider Mover. if you wish to expand your e-learning venture, check out Shaker.
Basic features that could be availed in all plans are:
- Your website
- Online course,
- Digital downloads
- Email marketing
- Additional teammates ($20/mo each)
- No transaction fees
- Unlimited everything
- All week support
- Live Q&A every day
- Free migration
Other features such as memberships, zoom integration, affiliate marketing, among others are limited to the Shaker Plan. For comparison of full features, see Podia (15).
What people say about Podia
TalentLMS is another LMS that you could try if you are looking for more sophisticated platforms for your e-learning courses. It is cloud-based so you don’t need to worry about content backup and accessibility. It has interesting features that will help your customers or students enjoy the courses you have to offer.
- eCommerce including discounts, coupons, and support for Paypal and Stripe
- Customization by adding your logo, and colors
- Supports multiple media types like videos, presentations, and documents
- Assessment engine with a variety of test types like multiple choice, ordering, drag-and-drop matching, fill in the blanks, and open-ended questions.
- Customized certificates
- Live session hosting
- Localization with support of 30 languages
- Gamification through badges, points, levels, and rewards
- Automation of tasks like emails, sequencing, deactivation of inactive users, etc.
- Course Store
For the standard plans, the main differences are the maximum number of users and courses.
The Free plan limits courses to 10 and only allows a maximum of 5 users. Since it doesn’t have a time limit and requires a credit card, you can test out the platform to your satisfaction.
The Starter plan allows up to 49 users, Basic up to 100 users, and Plus up to 500 users. If you want to cater to 1000 users, sign up for the Premium plan.
The Basic plan has single sign-on support. Plus Plan includes added features like automation, success manager, and SSL for a custom domain. Finally, the Premium plan includes live chat support.
Active plans are also available, which allows an unlimited number of users to register, and the pricing depends on how many users log on to your portal every month. Unlike standard plans, it has soft limits. For all features of premium for over 500 active users per month, there is the Enterprise Plan where you could request a customized plan. For full feature comparisons, see TalentLMS (16).
What people say about TalentLMS
15. iSpring Learn
e-learning biz is iSpring Learn. It has a wide range of standard and custom plans that you could choose from based on your needs. Around 54,000 businesses trust iSpring for e-learning. Some of these are Google, VISA, Johnson&Johnson, Dell, and Amazon among many others.
- Training management on autopilot
- Comprehensive reports to monitor the progress of your team and individuals for better decision making.
- Integrated authoring tools to help you develop interactive courses, quizzes, among others.
- Free mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Building of learning paths
- Customization to make your LMS consistent with your brand
iSpring offers a number of plans you could choose from based on your needs. For LMS, iSpring offers the following plans with pricing based on the number of users.
It also offers plans if you need a platform to sell your courses.
For a detailed comparison of features, see iSpring Plans (17).
What people say about iSpringLearn
Running your e-learning business is a challenge, but Ruzuku offers ways to make it “ridiculously easy” for you. With this platform, you buy more than just a tool. You join a team to help you in your venture so you could focus on creating, promoting your courses, and engaging with your students.
- Easy but powerful course management
- Integrates with Mailchimp
- Live courses
- Allows hosting and streaming of audio and videos
- Supports hosting of files for download
- Daily backups
- Course Health
- Easy support access through Phone, Skype, Email, Facebook Group, among others
Other basic features include unlimited audio and video uploads, data storage, support for you and your learners, fast servers, a global content delivery network, bank-level security both for you and your students, and integrated eCommerce with PayPal and Stripe. For a full comparison of features, see Ruzuku plans (18).
Ruzuku has a 100% free trial that does not require credit card information. This allows you to create a course and start accepting registrations to make money during your 14-day trial period.
What people say about Ruzuku
WizIQ is an affordable online learning platform where you can create and sell courses. What makes this platform different is that its features could replicate the physical interactive classroom through its virtual classes. These include live classrooms, whiteboard, assessments, and content in different formats such as document, video, or PDF.
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS
- Course builder
- Virtual classroom with video conferencing, whiteboard, and participant messaging in real-time
- Customization of a logo, banner, URL, and colors to make sure it goes with your brand
- Audio/video communication
- MP4 recording on cloud
- Assessments in different formats
- Reports on your teaching performance, learner’s progress, and course-related analytics
WizIQ pricing begins at $25/month and it is billed annually. For live classroom, you could choose any of the three available plans:
- Professional: for individual instructors with different participant options (10, 25, 50), up top 120 minutes class duration, along with other features.
- Enterprise: for colleges and universities, corporate trainers, and institutions. It has different participant options (10, 25, 50), up to 300 minutes class duration, along with other features.
- Pay-per-use: for per-minute pricing. This is valid for up to 300 attendees per class with a class duration of up to 300 minutes,
If you choose between professional and enterprise plans, you need to ask the sales team for a plan, depending on the number of teachers and students you plan to take on. If you are not quite sure about the usage pattern, however, you can consider the pay-per-minute plan where participant minutes are computed by multiplying the number of participants with the class duration. For full feature comparison, see WizIQ (19)
WizIQ also has plans for LMS. These are the Elite and Infinite plans.
What people say about WizIQ
If you want to find simple ways to sell your courses, you might want to check out an Online Course Marketplace such as Udemy, the largest online learning marketplace. The platform covers a wide range of fields such as Development, Business, IT and teaching, and Academics among many others.
Here, you could take advantage of the existing community of learners because Udemy has 35 million students worldwide and over 7,000 enterprise customers from over 180 countries.
- 24/7 Support to help you in course creation needs
- 60+ different languages
- Test video service
- Quality Review process
- Opportunities to participate in Udemy deals programs to boost sales
- Access to best practices to help you create courses that would sell
It is free to apply to become a premium instructor and start charging students for your courses. However, Udemy keeps a part of each sale based on the transactions. If the sale is made by instructor promotion, you get 97% sales. If the sale is made through Udemy organic sale, Udemy and you will get 50% each from the revenue. If it is made through paid user acquisition sale, you get 25% of the revenue.
Visit Udemy (20) if you are interested to take advantage of its offers.
What people say about Udemy
SkillShare is another online course marketplace you might want to consider if you want to earn monthly royalties through content creation. This platform focuses on creative education in animation, design, illustration, lifestyle, photo and film, business, and writing.
SkillShare operates using the subscription model where members who pay monthly or annual fees get accessed to the entire course catalog. Hence, payment of teachers is made through monthly royalties.
- Teacher academy and handbook to help you create content (especially videos) that are focused and digestible, project-based, personal, honest, and human
- Teacher Challenge
- Payment through monthly royalties
- Free course publication
- Mobile app
- Channel referral link
It is free to publish a course in SkillShare. You can earn monthly royalties based on the number of minutes that were watched in your course. You could also earn $10 for every student you could lead to signing up for SkillShare premium membership. If you want to give it a go, check out SkillShare (21).
What people say about SkillShare
20. Zippy Courses
Some platforms zero in on course building, while others on marketing. As a course creator, however, we need both. Zippy Courses is an all-in-one tool to help you create the course and market them.
It is user-friendly with its drag-and-drop course builder that makes the task quick and easy. It could integrate with other email providers such as ActiveCampaign and Aweber. You can also integrate a shopping cart and payment services like Stripe, PayPal, and Infusionsoft to your page.
- Balanced features for course building and selling
- Drag-and-drop Course Builder
- Support for Access-tiers on courses
- Launch windows to boost your sales
- Automatic email follow-ups for your students
- Unlimited paid and free courses
- Unlimited students
- Unlimited landing pages
Zippy Courses has different plans available for you. The major differences are the number of admin users and limitations on emails per month and file storage or transfer.
Zippy Courses offers a 7-day trial for $1 (22). You need to remember, however, that after the 7th day, you will automatically be billed for the standard plan of $99 per month unless you cancel before the end of the trial period.
What people say about LearnWorlds
How to choose the best online course platform?
While our top pick of the best online course platform is Thinkific, what is best for you might be different. Your requirements and preferences could differ from ours.
Udemy and Skillshare are two great options if you’re primarily concerned about selling your course in an already existing and established online learning platform. Both options spare you from designing your own page, marketing your course, and other technical stuff.
The courses you offer are included in online course catalogs where all learners looking at the platform could choose from. You don’t have much control over the management of your course, however.
Hosted sites offer you features or integrations to create and sell your courses in ways that are easy even if you are not that quite techy. They enable you to control your business in all aspects. While some work with integrations, other sites offer an all-in-one feature for more seamless operation as all parts are more likely to be better integrated.
If you already have a website and want to deliver e-learning from your WordPress, you will need an LMS plug-in. It requires more technical know-how and taking care of stuff like installation, set-up, and maintenance, among others. However, it gives you much more flexibility in your features.
If you have an established business, you might want a more sophisticated learning management system like the Academy of Mine and ProProfs Training Maker. These could be a bit overwhelming for small online learning ventures, though bigger enterprises would appreciate their sophisticated online training features.
Wrapping it up
Technological advancements have transformed learning and opened doors for the expansion of the e-learning market. The availability of online learning platforms has made it easier for more individuals with expertise in various fields to sell online courses, providing varying levels of support.
The success of your venture, however, would depend largely on your ability to make the best courses in your e-learning platform that would link you to a wide audience in the digital world. Making the right choices goes back to your business targets and needs. This list gives you the information that you might need to decide which of these best is the best online learning platform for your business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hey I’m Allan, founder of Dotcom Dollar. I started my own successful online business and quit my job in 2015 to travel the world. I started Dotcom Dollar to help aspiring entrepreneurs like you create a successful online business.